Albert, There is no such animal; it would be huge. The closest we have--outside of BHS--is the new BHQ, of which 4-5 fascicles are now available. The expected completion date continues to move into the future, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. It does include DSS variants, as well as Syriac, LXX, and Vulgate among others. The drawback is that Syriac is not in transliteration as it is in BHS, but in the Syriac script, Nestorian, if I remember correctly (but I might be wrong). And, it is priced out of the range of the average person. The retails run over $100/fascicle, although most of the time you can purchase them for $75.00 or so.
>From personal experience, I can sympathize with you. On more than one occasion I have had BHS, LXX, and Vulgate texts open in front of me and seen BHS ignore what I thought were important variants. James ________________________________ James Spinti Marketing Director, Book Sales Division Eisenbrauns, Good books for more than 35 years Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226 Fax: 574-269-6788 -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Albert Haig Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:52 PM To: [email protected] Subject: [b-hebrew] Malachi 1:10 textual variant Dear B-Hebrew list, Regarding Malachi 1:10, there are no textual variants marked in Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS) in relation to the first word of the verse, MIY. However, when I looked up the verse in English in Quickverse, in the notes for this verse was the following (I have just cut and pasted this): Who (KJV): Instead of {mi,} "who," one MS. (30 K.) with the LXX reads {ki,} "surely," which is adopted by Houbigant and Abp. Newcome, who renders, "Surely the doors shall be closed against you, neither shall ye kindle the fire of my altar in vain." When I checked the LXX, it reads DIOTI, which certainly does seem to be a translation of KIY rather than MIY. So it seems that the LXX does in fact have a variant reading at this point. As regards Hebrew manuscripts, I am not sure what manuscript "30 K." refers to, I can't find any such manuscript listed in BHS or in the Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition (vol. 2, pp. 1311-1323). I assume they are using a different nomenclature. Now it seems to me that this textual variant (i.e. the reading KIY) can't be correct on grammatical grounds. This is because I assume that it requires us to understand the subject of the verb W:YISGOR to be God; however, just a few words later in the verse God is referred to in the first person (the suffix on MIZB:XIY); I can't see how you can have God changing from the third person to the first person in a couple of words, and I can't see who could be the subject for the verb W:YISGOR if not God, unless, of course, the text reads MIY, in which case that acts as subject. So I think the reading MIY is correct. But my main concern is as follows. I was under the impression (perhaps illusion) that BHS listed all textual variants in the footnotes, except of course those found in the Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS). But here it seems to have missed a variant in the LXX and one Hebrew manuscript. Have I been misled? Does BHS omit some textual variants (other than the DSS)? How frequently does this happen? Often BHS does note variant readings found in the LXX, so what criteria do they use to decide what gets noted and what does not? And if this is true, can anyone tell me if there is a critical text of the Hebrew Old Testament available in print that notes ALL the textual variants in the footnotes (excepting perhaps the DSS, although ideally it would include these also)? I would be keen to purchase it if there is. Thank you for your help! I am somewhat disgruntled at BHS at the moment. Very best wishes, Albert Haig. _______________________________________________ b-hebrew mailing list [email protected] http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/b-hebrew _______________________________________________ b-hebrew mailing list [email protected] http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/b-hebrew
