Hi,

> I'm running batman (experimental) on a debian linux as root but want to
> access the debug levels (batmand -c -b -d 1) from within a apache that
> is not running as root.

indeed a problem. As quick fix you could use sudo and allow www-data to access
batmand.

> batman actually checks the user id and does not allow to run as non-root
> users. also when I disable the check, batman can not access the
> /var/run/batman.socket except when I change the access modes from
> command line.

That is why batman checks the user id ...

> Is it possible to also support non root access for batmand -c -b -d 1?

The question is: Do we really want that ? I understand your case but your
solutions implies that other non-privileged could access the daemon.
The "batmand -c" command can do much more than giving you the debug output as
changing the gateway_class / routing_class / preferred gateway and may be
more in the future.

Regards,
Marek