On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Marek Lindner <lindner_ma...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Ok, if this list is not going to make it I only see 2 options (feel free to
> add more):
>
> * We drop the requirement to keep the domain name for the list and migrate
> everyone to the new list.
> * We create the additional new list while keeping the old one. The new list is
> for the communication with the kernel developers.
>
> Opinions ?

I think that having two lists would be a hassle and a mistake.  To
have two lists at one host might work, but one list at VGER and
another somewhere else could be counter-productive, as "internal"
communication would be constantly forwarded to the kernel list, and
relevant kernel traffic would have to be forwarded back to the
"internal" list.  Think about that for a second.  Eventually, we would
probably just drop one list.

If one list is O(n), then two lists are O(n^2) for anyone who needs
both.  I vote for one list, no matter where it's hosted.

commercial solution (EMWD):
 - spam filtering
 - open-mesh.net
 - small price < US$20/month

open source host (VGER, freelists.org)
 - spam filtering
 - their-domain.com
 - no price
 - we get added to their project directory, so potential contributors see us

Jake