Hey Guido,

the problem using one radio is explained further here (from another
company, but this applies to any WiFi mesh technology)

http://revolutionwifi.blogspot.com/2012/02/mesh-network-performance-impact.html

Also, if you use two-radio nodes, make sure that you use one module
on 2.4 GHz and one 5 GHz - if you use two modules in the same
frequency band with omni antennas, even if you use separate channels
(like 1 and 11), they may interfere with each other if the antennas
are near to each other. There are quite a few ppl who can confirm this,
e.g. check this:

https://hackerspace.be/Wbm2009v2/TestInterferenceResults

Possible Solutions:
 * use different bands
 * use directional or sector antennas
 * have a reasonable distance between your omni antennas

Cheers,
        Simon