On Monday, May 07, 2012 01:10:19 PM Matthias Schiffer wrote:
> On 05/07/2012 08:40 AM, Marek Lindner wrote:
> > If you wish to replace the mac addresses with readable name you can
> > simply use a bat-hosts file to tell batctl which mac address should be
> > replaced. Check the bat-hosts section in our batctl online manpage:
> > http://downloads.open-mesh.org/batman/manpages/batctl.8.html
>
> I know about bat-hosts, but this only works when the host displaying the
> data knows all the MAC address/hostname mappings. For community meshs
> like Freifunk networks it would be much nicer to allow each host to
> supply its own hostname for vis in my opinion. I think one possibility
> to add this without breaking compatiblity would be adding a hostname
> record after the neighbor entries in the vis packets.
>
> It would be nice to convert the reserved field in the vis packet
> stucture to a flags field for things like this, but AFAICS the current
> code never sets this to zero, but this is a byte of uninitialized memory
> that is sent over the network - but again, I might be overlooking things
> as I'm not yet familar with the code.

Please don't think too much about the current packet types... there will be
changes anyway [1,2]

And maybe you could also use the DHT implementation [3] for your distributed
dns [4] (when you don't want to use already available stuff [5])

Kind regards,
        Sven

[1] http://www.open-mesh.org/wiki/batman-adv/BackwardsCompatibility
[2] http://www.open-mesh.org/wiki/batman-adv/Packet-types