Hello Guido,

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 03:34:29PM -0300, Gui Iribarren wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Simon Wunderlich
> >
> > OK, so you say that it doesn't work when you simply add eth0 batctl, but it
> > works
> > with the bridge?
> Exactly.
> With a caveat: turns out adding plain eth0 (no vlans involved) works
> fine as expected, the problem arises when using vlans.
>
> > What is the minimal setup which is not working, two routers
> > and one cable?
> I just reproduced it minimally: two routers, one cable, no adhoc, no
> bla2, no gw_mode, identical setup in both routers.
> enabling bla2 makes no difference.
>
> http://pastebin.com/y1JwMaDM
>
> A=f8:d1:11:54:50:f9
> B=f8:d1:11:3b:78:df
>
> "A" batctl td shows incoming OGMs from neighbour "B",
> but batctl ll doesn't react.
>
> viceversa for "B".
>
> ping6 works fine over eth0.2 between A and B
>
> adding a simple "option type 'bridge'" on both routers solves the OGM
> issue, like so:
>
> config interface 'eth0_2'
>       option type 'bridge'
>       option ifname 'eth0.2'
>       option proto 'none'
>       option mtu '1528'
>
> with this, eth0.2 is included in br-eth0_2, and bat0 manages
> br-eth0_2... OGMs do come through correctly, and "batctl o" shows
> neighbour on both sides.
>
> all in all, workaround is not complicated (in fact a one-liner) but i
> find it curious that without the bridge thingy, batctl td catches the
> OGMs, yet batman doesn't recognize them.
> I haven't tinkered with vlans before, so i might be misunderstanding
> how they should work.

Thanks for working that out. I've just tried out VLANs on Ethernet with
BATMAN myself, and it worked well here - so I can't reproduce it by simply
using VLANs.

Another cause of the fault may be the VLAN stuff in OpenWRT, as this is not
a "real" VLAN but just a way to address the ports on your box. I have not
much experience with that, but I've heard funny things about it. ;) Have you
tried changing the VLAN config? E.g. changing ports '0t 2t' for eth0.2 to
'0t 2' (to remove tagging)?

Do you have the same problem on other types of devices? (Maybe the internal
switch is acting weird)

Maybe some else has more experience on Switch/VLAN-config than me and can
have a look at that config. :) http://pastebin.com/y1JwMaDM

As I said, Ethernet/VLANs work fine for me, and I know other people running
batman over Ethernet-VLANs as well ...

Cheers
        Simon