Hey Luca,

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 11:40:43AM +0200, Luca Pretto wrote:
> Thanks for your answer Sven.
>
> So, I've obviously misunderstood the part "mixing non-B.A.T.M.A.N. systems
> with batman-adv" [&]
> I admit: the fact that batman-adv operates al L2 really confuses me a lot!
> I'm a DIY nerd with no background training, so it's quite difficult to me..
> But I won't give up! ;D

Sven explained it already ... just think of batman-adv as a big, distributed
switch with some nice
extras. ;)

> So, do you think that I should try to setup OSPF on every node, to keep the
> thing as-much-auto-scaling-as-possible?

from your description, you want to have some smaller subnets, and use
batman-adv for the backbone
to interconnect them. That's a fine approach, and you can use any routing
technology on top (quagga with
OSPF/BGP, olsr, babel, ...) to announce the networks. Whatever seems most
suitable for you. :)

> But in that case I suspect I won't be able to use the "Gateway support"
> functions. Is it correct? [%]

The gateway support is just for sending DHCP packets to the "best" gateway, and
this gateway
is selected by batman-adv. But this won't work for you, because the users will
get the DHCP leases
from their local DHCP server responsible for the network. So this feature won't
help you as long
as you are subnetting.

The idea of the gateway feature is that you have multiple DHCP servers which
are serving
as router for their respective internet connection, e.g.:

 * router A serves subnet 10.9.1.0/24
 * router B serves subnet 10.9.2.0/24
 * router C serves subnet 10.9.3.0/24
 * some more routers don't act as a DHCP server as they don't have an Internet
uplink

Then, you'd just bridge all APs so that users DHCP requests will end up in the
mesh at one of the
DHCP servers - and the gateway feature will make sure that it's the DHCP server
with the best
connection quality. ;)

OTOH, subnetting has it's plus side as well if you want to seperate the APs
somehow or limit
the broadcast scope. Also on very large networks I'd recommend to use subnets
or smaller mesh
islands.

Cheers,
        Simon