Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hi all, I'm trying to get some information on how batman works to determine
what my next steps are for an experiment I'm running.  I'm hoping someone on
the list can tell me how Batman operates RIGHT NOW, not just how it is
intended to operate in the future, so I can make reasonable plans.

1) I'm guessing from the following pages (which only describe roaming and
announcement behaviors) that the TTL field of all packets is decremented by
1.  Is this true?
http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Client-roaming
http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Client-announcement

2) Follow up to question 1; are the TTL fields of Batman packets and IP
packets linked in some way?  The library I'm using (zeromq,
http://www.zeromq.org/) has a reliable multicast transport built on top of
OpenPGM (http://code.google.com/p/openpgm/).  My plan is to simulate
reliable 1-hop broadcast by using reliable multicast and setting the TTL
field to 1.  However, this will only affect the IP layer.  Unless batman
also decrements the TTL field of the IP packets traveling over it, I'm kind
of stuck.

3) Finally, does batman have the equivalent of multicast or (better yet)
broadcast for data packets?  That is, if I send something to a multicast IP
address which all of its 1-hop neighbors are listening to, will all of them
listen to the packet simultaneously, or will it act like a series of unicast
messages?

If you're wondering what I'm trying to do, message me directly.  It's easy
to explain, but off topic for this list.

Thanks,
Cem Karan