On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Sophana K <sophan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Gui Iribarren <g...@altermundi.net> wrote:
>> Hey Sophana,
>> Don't bridge the wan, as you won't be able to route then.
>
> I would like to explicitely bridge the wan, as it is the private
> network. Just like a transparent wifi access point would do.
> Routing is not always what you want if you connect to your private LAN.
i think i don't fully understand your setup. could you care to
describe it a little bit further?

>> we solved that "missing piece" with a few scripts
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/guidoi/batmesh/src/tip/packages/batman-adv-auto-gw-mode
>> https://bitbucket.org/guidoi/batmesh/src/tip/packages/watchping
>>

> Thanks a lot for sharing your code. I took some time to understand how it
> works.
> If I understand correctly, you are using the batman-adv gateway feature.
> watchping is a script that simply uses ping on a specific interface to
> determine wether you are connected to the internet.
> When connected, you launch a dhcp server. When not, you launch a dhcp client.
Correct.
watchping takes care of pinging and running hooks based on result.
batman-adv-auto-gw-mode is one of such hooks, that launchs a dhcp
server + gw_mode=server when called in "wan success"
(and undoes those actions when called in "wan failed")

> Using dhcp means that you are routed.
>
> As I would like to be bridged, this looks like it is not really a
> solution for me.
batman-adv gw_mode makes most sense in a routed situation, AFAIU

> The only solution I see is to start with the wan not bridged, test
> internet connection for a certain amount of time, then definitively
> decide if we are gateway or not.
Why not leave it bridged from the start? as said previously, i
probably don't understand your setup.

> I still have to test your solution. Do I have to install all the
> batmesh packages?
Nope, they are meant to be independent. They just sit on the same repo for now.

> It seems that the whole configuration is made in
> batmesh-autoconf?
batmesh-autoconf takes care of setting ipv4 on lan interface, creating
adhoc vifs in wlan0/1/2 and adding them to bat0. If you do that
manually or otherwise, no need of using batmesh-autoconf :)

> Too bad you don't have all default ar71xx router images ready to flash.

Will do.

Cheers!