Hi,

I want to give a short feedback concerning my attempt to use
batman-adv-2016.0 instead of to older version I used first.

Unfortunately, using batman-adv-2016.0 does not solve my problem. I can
still see claim frames sent by the mesh gateways into the common backbone
network for MAC addresses out of the common backbone network itself. I
enabled again both bla and dat support. Furthermore I have also still
problems with DAT, because there are multiple ARP replies visible in the
backbone network coming out of the mesh.

That reminds me that I have forgotten to mention in my earlier mail, that
I did not test with the original batman-adv-2014.4.0 first but with a
version having the patch applied I sent to the mailing list in March last
year concerning possible fixes for dat in bla setups. If I remember it
correctly I think there were two main issues in batman-adv-2014.4.0 when
using dat in combination with bla:
1.Broadcast ARP requests from the backbone network are handled by each
gateway, leading to multiple dat adress resoultions in parallel.
2. As dat uses tunneling of broadcasts in special batman-adv unicast
frames, the current bla code does not seem to prevent these broadcasts
from reaching the backone network as it is done for normal broadcast
coming from the mesh and heading for the backbone.
Both effects together lead to a multiplication of arp requests and
replies. My patch of last year tried to address this.

Good news is that disabling dat in batman-adv-2016.0 seems to solve my
observed issues (in strange ways even the observed erroneous claim frames
in the backbone network....). But I think dat is a clever feature to
reduce broadcast load in the mesh network. Wouldn't it be useful to dig a
little bit deeper into the combined use of dat and bla? I would volunteer
for testing and providing ideas for improving the behaviour.

Or do you think that I have an issue with my old 2.6.32 kernel?

Best regards,
Andreas

"B.A.T.M.A.N" <b.a.t.m.a.n-boun...@lists.open-mesh.org> schrieb am
09.02.2016 08:01:27:

> Von: Andreas Pape <ap...@phoenixcontact.com>
> An: Simon Wunderlich <s...@simonwunderlich.de>
> Kopie: b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org
> Datum: 09.02.2016 08:01
> Betreff: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Antwort: Re: Looping unicast packets when using
BLA
> [...]
> which ran until this morning without looping packets. But I did not
notice
> until now that I did not only prevent the claiming of MAC addresses from
> the own backbone but I also dropped the packets causing the claim to be
> triggered! That tells me that the original code in batadv_bla_rx is most
> likely OK and that my problem comes from somewhere else (e.g. ping
request
> from PC to device E enters gateway A and is forwarded to gateway B via
the
> mesh. But gateway B does not forward it to mesh node D but sends the
> packet via the linux bridge and my eth0 interface to the backbone
> network).
>
> But before digging deeper into this, I'll make a try with 2016.0 and see
> if the problem is solved there.
>

> > > From time to time I see looping unicast packets in my backbone
> network.
> > > This unicast looping starts directly after one of the nodes A to C
> claimed
> > > the mac address of my PC. The looping telegram is then the ping
> request
> > > sent by the PC. I have a wireshark recording made in my backbone via
> port
> > > mirroring of one of the switch ports where a mesh node is connected
> > > which shows this behaviour.
> >
> > Is it really the ping packet looping? If yes, which nodes are part of
> the
> > loop? Normally we only see broadcast packets looping. In #216 it was
> also
> > broadcast packets where we have seen duplicates, and this was more a
> locking
> > problem leading to creation of the same packets again and again.
> >

> > > I am not sure if I understood bla correctly but isn't it nonsense
that
> > > bla backbone gateway claims MAC addresses from its own backbone
(i.e.
> the
> > > one it is directly connected to via its ethernet port)?
> >
> > Yes, that appears to be nonsense indeed. Do you happen to have DAT
> enabled?
> > There were also some problems with that which are fixed by now.
>
> DAT is enabled. But my problem starts with a gratuitous arp containing a
> claim and not a multiplication of normal arp requests or repsonses.
>

> > > A simple change in batadv_bla_rx seems to solve this problem: add an
> > > additional check before claiming a new mac address: if this address
is
> > > already known from the tt local table (via command
> batadv_is_my_client)
> > > don't claim it.
> > >
> > > This seems to solve my problem as far as I have tested so far. Any
> > > thoughts about that?
> >
> > This will prevent roaming from on of your nodes connected to the
> backbone (A-
> > C) to the mesh-only node D.
> >
> > I would like to suggest to upgrade and test again, and try disabling
DAT
> if
> > the problem is still present (you should still report it if DAT makes
> > difference in that case). If you still see a problem then, we probably
> have
> > something unsolved, and then I'd like to understand which nodes are
part
> of
> > the loop.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >      Simon[Anhang "signature.asc" gelöscht von Andreas Pape/Phoenix
> Contact]
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Andreas

> PHOENIX CONTACT ELECTRONICS GmbH
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft / registered office of the company: 31812 Bad
Pyrmont