On 05/06/2016 10:45 PM, Jonathan Haws wrote:
> I am trying to get familiar with the Alfred tools and downloaded version
> 2016.1.  Unfortunately it didn't work - I couldn't get past a bind error:
>
> root@sierra1:~# ./alfred -m -i bat0
> can't bind: Cannot assign requested address
> Failed to open interfaces
>
> I had setup batman-adv with the commands:
>
> batctl if add eth0
> ip link set up bat0 (eth0 was already up)
>
> I rolled back to 2015.0 (per a hint at
> http://wiki.pinneberg.freifunk.net/alfred) and alfred started up just
> fine instead of giving the error.  However it periodically gives the
> following message:
>
> announce master ...
> Error during sent: Cannot assign requested address
>
> I also tried alfred -m -i eth0 with the same results.
>
> Is there something wrong in my configuration?  Can anyone point me in
> the right direction?  I've read through the Wiki for both batman-adv and
> alfred and am out of ideas.
>
> I'm trying to prove this setup and get familiar with it in a virtual
> environment, so I am using VirtualBox to setup a network of 4 nodes in
> my mesh.  Should be simple enough, and batman-adv seems to work just
> great - once its up and running, all nodes can communicate one with
> another as expected.  Only issue is I am trying to get alfred to work
> with batadv-vis to give me a graph to tell me it really is working right.
>
> Thoughts?
> Thanks!
> Jon

alfred explicitly binds to the link-local IPv6 address of the interface
since version 2016.0. I suspect one of the following caveats might be your
problem:

* The link-local IPv6 address must match the MAC address of the interface
(here bat0) (derived by flipping the 2 bit of the first byte, and adding
fe80 and fffe); this ususally breaks when the MAC address is changed after
the interface is up
* The link-local address must not be tentative when alfred is started
(duplicate address detection must have finished; this usually means that
the interface must be up for 3 seconds before alfred is started)

I hope this helps...

Regards,
Matthias