On Samstag, 14. April 2018 10:11:28 CEST Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> An error message like like "returned invalid all-zero mac address" (or
> "multicast address") might help to distinguish similar "ambiguities" in
> the future. No?

The current interface for the translation is "give me a string and I return
NULL or a mac address". The resolving of the IPs for hostnames and the check
of the neighbor table are done on an "I take what I get first" approach. Your
suggestion would involve a change of this interface and parsing of additional
information and tracking of states to make sure that the "best" result is
returned (or a special error state). This is nothing which I will implement
now.

Should I drop the patch for now?

Kind regards,
        Sven