On Monday, 25 May 2020 19:21:50 CEST Alexey Ermakov wrote:
> > I am surprised you still are configuring a throughput override of
> > 100kbit/s. What's the idea behind this configuration ?
>
> I have two channels between nodes (actually more, but this doesn't matter
> now) 1) Radio modem, connects as follows:
>    NODE1(eth0)<-->modem(radio)<-->(radio)modem<-->(eth0)NODE2
> eth0 interface have 100mbit/s speed and batman detects it as 100mbit/s.
> radio has 145kbit/s, and actual speed of this channel is 145kbit/s
>
> 2) eth1 Ethernet channel. Speed of this channel is 100mbit/s
>    NODE1(eth1)<---->(eth1)NODE2
>
> Now make a test:
> 1) Set up eth0 modem channel
> 2) Disconnect eth1 channel
> 3) Turn on nodes - batman saw eth0 channel between nodes and detected
> speed 100mbit/s (because speed between node and modem is 100mbit/s, as
> I understand)
> 4) plug eth1 cable in - At this moment I expect batman switch to eth1
> channel because it has real 100mbit/s speed. But batman doesn't
> switch, because it detects eth0 as 100mbit/s too.
> Therefore I override throughput of eth0, actually batman detects
> incorrect speed on eth0.

If you have to configure the throughput manually why not configure the link
with
something like 5mbit/s instead of 100kbit/s ? Batman-adv does not care that
this throughput is not exact. All that matters is provide input to the
algorithm to allow batman-adv to make smart choices.

Kind regards,
Marek Lindner