>>   1. ad-hoc mode doesn't work as well as infrastructure mode;

> Has anyone tries using 802.11s configured interface?

Interesting idea.  I'd be surprised if it worked much better than plain
ad-hoc mode, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

>> If you're using diversity routing (Babel-Z), be
>> aware that current versions of babeld are unable to automatically
>> determine the channel number of interfaces in AP mode -- you'll need to
>> set them manually.

> We are using wlan-slovenia firmware, and AFAIK this is regular babel.
> I'll read up on babel-z.

It's included in the babeld binary.  Just add "diversity true" to the
config file.

The protocol is described here:

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chroboczek-babel-diversity-routing

> I'll try this and let you know... but how would interfaces then be
> configured? One side all AP and other side all STA interfaces?

I agree, it's a pain to configure -- I too wish that ad-hoc mode worked
better.

-- Juliusz