*From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf Of *Ben Metcalfe
*Sent:* 01 September 2005 2:39
*To:* backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
*Subject:* [backstage] backstage.bbc.co.uk TV Schedule competition
*Importance:* High

Dear all,

I'm writing to let you know that the inaugural backstage.bbc.co.uk competition hasn’t gone as well as I had hoped. In fact, at the time of sending this we haven’t received any entries at all.

backstage.bbc.co.uk is very much about the BBC experimenting with new ways of engaging with it’s expert user base, and clearly this specific exercise hasn’t worked. backstage.bbc.co.uk also strives to be a publicly open and transparent project, which is why I am writing to communicate this to you all.

Moving forward, I’ve been trying to think about why this has happened – and my guess is that it comes to one of two possibilities:

* The TV schedule data we provided over-complicated and in an alien format that was difficult to parse, or * The idea of developing around a BBC-led theme, even for a prize, isn’t an approach that is of interest to the backstage.bbc.co.uk community.

I’m keen to gather whether either/both of these reasons are the case, or maybe there’s something else I’ve completely missed?

All of your thoughts and views are very subject are very much appreciated, so I’d be really grateful if you could let me know what you think – either publicly on this mailing list or privately (ben.metcalfe [at] bbc.co.uk).

I don’t want to pre-empt your views on this, so I will get back to you with some more thoughts and action points on my part, once I am able to gauge where we stand (and thus what we need to do differently next time).

Many thanks

Ben Metcalfe
Project Lead, backstage.bbc.co.uk