To: <backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:38 PM
Subject: RE: [backstage] MetaWeather: Weather Mashup

Hey James,

Thanks!

Currently most of the data I'm crunching has more than just the wind
info in. Although I suppose there is nothing to stop me adding sources
that only contain this information. I didn't think of that, I'll give it
a go :-)

I'll try and add some other locations this evening.

Licencing is an issue. The BBC data I'm using isn't provided by the
Backstage project (yet) [1], so I'm not sure what infringement is
happening there. If it was provided by backstage.bbc.co.uk then I'd be
alright [2]. I'm not sure what licence weather.com and NOAA provide with
their XML services.

However, I'd argue that the adverts are fair. I'm certainly not covering
the costs of thousands of GBP of hardware, colocation, bandwidth, and
many hours of coding - let alone "making money" :-)

Cheers,

[1] http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/data/WeatherFeeds
[2] http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/05/faq.html#canimakemoney