Thanks for everyone's feedback with this.

A summary of suggestions received includes...

- only showing headlines once  (the current format is showing the news items most recently updated, so the same stories may re-appear if they've been updated, a little like hourly network news I guess)
- being able to select news categories/keywords you're interested in
- being able to specify the times you want to receive the news flashes, not just hourly

In addition, I found some weirdnesses with Google Talk, but am not sure if anyone else has. It doesn't always seem to deliver the news, while delivery to a more "standard" Jabber client/account seems to work as planned.

Any more feedback/suggestions/problems, please keep them coming. Not sure how much I'll be able to do about it in the very short term (as a skiing holiday in my native Switzerland is beckoning), but issues and suggestions will certainly be considered/addressed in due time.

Cheers,
Mario.