On 9/28/06, Mr I Forrester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Has anyone had experience of any of the other widget engines out there?
Google, Netvibes, Opera, Vista?

I'm wondering which path they went down. XML or HTML?

I've done widgets for Google, live.com, pageflakes.com and mac dashboard.

They all provide their own API to make http calls through their proxy, with xml/html as markup, and _javascript_ client script.

Google and live.com are based on XML (although in the case of live.com, it's only the gadget manifest that's xml, all the rest is implemented in _javascript_), while pageflakes.com and mac use HTML.

Netvibes didn't have the facility for developers to create their own widgets at the time I developed the above, but this has changed since then, so if I get some time I may take a look at their API and port my existing gadgets.

Mario.