I think the pages is a limitation of the technology, and perhaps a
usability 'feature' for showing that there is actually more results than
the map can comfortably show.

When you move around the map, and land in one place the JS fires off a
request to the API method "flickr.photos.search" [1] passing the map
area [2] and asking for 200 results back [3] in order of relevance [4].
I guess they limit the number of results for speed (both backend
database load, and frontend downloading, parsing and displaying the
results) - hence the pages.

[1] http://www.flickr.com/services/api/flickr.photos.search.html
[2] argument "bbox", example value
"-0.117405,51.458997,-0.092836,51.469902" - near where I live, crumbs!
[3] argument "per_page", example (default) value "200"
[4] argument "sort", example value "relevance"

Jason Cartwright
Client Side Developer - CBBC Interactive
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Desk: (0208 22) 59487
Mobile: 07976500729

"Recreate the world in your own image and make it better for your having
been here" - Ray Bradbury