Hi Pete,

I've updated the streams - all seem to be working, apart from World Service
at the moment.

> So multi-cast is more reliable? Perhaps its time for me to go back to the
> multi-cast modem - though I thought that was all 'trial' as well.

The multicast stuff is still a trial, it's more we're trying to show people
what you can do with it, like the AJAX application combining the API and the
streams [1].  Also, as well as the live content we've tried multicasting and
carouselling the TV-Anytime data.

> Being cheeky - is there anything that is reliable - other than html
> scraping? I just hate scraping stuff, but I do see that in all your sample
> widgets'n'things they seem to use radio streams gleaned from the web site
> (e.g. the wmp streams) rather than from any API/public listing. The benefit
> of being on the inside I suppose.

I may be on the inside, but it's a rather large organisation, so it doesn't
mean I have access to everything.  http://www.dave.org.uk/streams/ seems
like a useful resource...

Andrew
BBC Research

[1] http://www0.rdthdo.bbc.co.uk/services/api/examples/ajax/doc.html


On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 04:00:29PM -0000, Pete Cole wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> 
> > When I get a chance I'll update the streams.
> 
> If you could, I'll be grateful - the widget competition winner is a rather
> useless without them and whilst it may not be overloading your servers I
> know there are (were) a few people using it regularly.
> 
> > Due to us mainly using the data and multicast streams,
> > we haven't tracked the changes in the unicast streams.
> 
> So multi-cast is more reliable? Perhaps its time for me to go back to the
> multi-cast modem - though I thought that was all 'trial' as well.
> 
> Being cheeky - is there anything that is reliable - other than html
> scraping? I just hate scraping stuff, but I do see that in all your sample
> widgets'n'things they seem to use radio streams gleaned from the web site
> (e.g. the wmp streams) rather than from any API/public listing. The benefit
> of being on the inside I suppose.
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Pete.
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:owner-
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrew McParland
> > Sent: 16 November 2006 13:44
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: [backstage] Web API issue with Radio Four?
> > 
> > Hi Pete,
> > 
> > > Indeed. Is there any sign of this service moving from prototype/beta
> > to
> > > something more/less?
> > 
> > Good question.  I've talked to a few people a month or so ago about a
> > properly supported public facing API to our schedule data.  The summary
> > is
> > that there is a desire to do it, but there is no definite timescale
> > (yet).
> > 
> > > On the particular issue of streams it fascinates me that there seem
> > to be
> > > so many - I presume the feeds listed by the API are somehow different
> > from
> > > the main site feeds (Radio 1 has been down for quite a while now).
> > 
> > This is easier.  The API was set up a while ago and we entered the
> > streams
> > as they stood at the time.  Due to us mainly using the data and
> > multicast
> > streams, we haven't tracked the changes in the unicast streams.  Sorry.
> > So
> > do let us know when you find things going wrong, we're not always aware
> > of
> > them.  When I get a chance I'll update the streams.
> > 
> > Cheers,
> > 
> > Andrew
> > BBC Research
> > 
> > On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 02:46:27PM -0000, Pete Cole wrote:
> > > Hi Andrew,
> > >
> > > > This is the fun with experimental prototypes, eh?
> > >
> > >
> > > On the particular issue of streams it fascinates me that there seem
> > to be so
> > > many - I presume the feeds listed by the API are somehow different
> > from the
> > > main site feeds (Radio 1 has been down for quite a while now).
> > >
> > > Pete.
> > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrew
> > McParland
> > > > Sent: 15 November 2006 10:44
> > > > To: [email protected]
> > > > Subject: Re: [backstage] Web API issue with Radio Four?
> > > >
> > > > Hi Pete,
> > > >
> > > > You're right, the problem with the API (and backstage
> > > > TV-Anytime files) missing certain days of Radio 4 has now been
> > fixed.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks for the report on the streams, there does seem to be a
> > > > problem - I'll investigate.
> > > >
> > > > This is the fun with experimental prototypes, eh?
> > > >
> > > > Andrew
> > > > BBC Research
> > > >
> > > > On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:49:52PM -0000, Pete Cole wrote:
> > > > > Hi,
> > > > >
> > > > > This (Radio Four listing) problem seems to have gone away,
> > > > but some of
> > > > > the real audio streams listed by the API don't seem to work
> > > > (they give
> > > > > the ever helpful 'General Error'). I haven't checked 'em all, but
> > > > > radio 1,2,3 and 4 seem 'dead' but 5 live is OK.
> > > > >
> > > > > Pete Cole.
> > > > >
> > > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > > > > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrew
> > > > > > McParland
> > > > > > Sent: 14 November 2006 10:03
> > > > > > To: [email protected]
> > > > > > Subject: Re: [backstage] Web API issue with Radio Four?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi Mario,
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thanks for reporting this.  I'll investigate further.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Andrew
> > > > > > BBC Research
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 07:15:29PM +0000, Mario Menti wrote:
> > > > > > > Hi - there seems to be a problem with the Web API and Radio
> > > > > > Four data
> > > > > > > at the
> > > > > > > moment:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Try
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > >
> > http://www0.rdthdo.bbc.co.uk/services/api/bbc.schedule.getProgrammes
> > > > > > .h
> > > > > > > tmland select Radio Four - I get  "Code 152, no matches
> > > > > > found". Other
> > > > > > > radio and TV channels seem to be OK.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Probably just temorary, but thought I'd mention it anyway..
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Cheers,
> > > > > > > Mario.
> > > > > > -
> > > > > > Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To
> > > > unsubscribe,
> > > > > > please visit
> > > > > > http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
> > > > > >   Unofficial list archive:
> > > > > > http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > -
> > > > > Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To
> > unsubscribe,
> > > > > please visit
> > > > > http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
> > > > > Unofficial list archive:
> > > > > http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> > > > -
> > > > Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To
> > > > unsubscribe, please visit
> > > > http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
> > > >   Unofficial list archive:
> > > > http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> > > >
> > >
> > > -
> > > Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe,
> > please visit
> > http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
> > Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-
> > archive.com/[email protected]/
> > -
> > Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe,
> > please visit
> > http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
> > Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-
> > archive.com/[email protected]/
> 
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
> visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
> Unofficial list archive: 
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to