On 09/12/06, Nic James Ferrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:>> He seems to be
suggesting that Flash is an open format. But last time> I looked Flash was proprietary crap.
It is of course better to use a completely Free Software format likeOgg/Theora
when encoding, but as long as Free Software can decodemedia, I think its not so
bad. Afterall, mp3 files are so popular thatI will listen to them, but encode
my own CDs in Ogg.
Since there aren't European software idea patents, andinteroperability
exceptions to the EUCD are around, if a format isproprietary or not is not  too
much of a problem.
For Flash in particular, the GNU Project's Flash Player, Gnash, willbe able to
play all Flash videos on its next release in the spring, Ijust heard:
---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Dave Crossland <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>Date: 09-Dec-2006 10:45Subject: Gnash Video Codecs?To: gnash@gnu.org

Hi Guys,
A blog post about how the "BBC doesn't get web video" and should startusing
Flash to stream video on the web attracted this comment:
"Gnash stuff is a nonstarter… if you read their lists, they're talkingabout which
other codecs they should use (that don't match the world'scontent), and whether FFMpeg
might help them (Adobe staff contributedto FFMpeg and know it won't)"- John Dowdell,
Macromedia, http://aralbalkan.com/795#comment-8121
What's the status of these comments? :-)
-- Regards,Dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Rob Savoye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Date:
09-Dec-2006 10:58Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash Video Codecs?To: Dave Crossland <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>Cc: gnash@gnu.org

Dave Crossland wrote:
"Gnash stuff is a nonstarter… if you read their lists, they're talking> about which other
codecs they should use (that don't match the world's> content), and whether FFMpeg might help
them (Adobe staff contributed> to FFMpeg and know it won't)"
  We never talked about which codecs, we support Gstreamer and ffmpeg,so we
support whatever codec those support, although right now theffmpeg support
works better. Most of the discussion was on which whichlibrary to use, so we
decided to support several. I don't think thisblogger is really paying
attention, and I'm not sure what the BBC uses.
       - rob -
---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Dave Crossland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Date:
09-Dec-2006 11:08Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash Video Codecs?To: Rob Savoye <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>Cc: gnash@gnu.org

Hi Rob!
Thanks for the quick reply!
On 09/12/06, Rob Savoye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> Dave Crossland wrote:>> > "Gnash stuff is a nonstarter… if you
read their lists, they're talking> > about which other codecs they should use (that don't match the world's> > content), and
whether FFMpeg might help them (Adobe staff contributed> > to FFMpeg and know it won't)">>    We never talked about
which codecs, we support Gstreamer and ffmpeg,> so we support whatever codec those support, although right now the> ffmpeg support
works better.
Okay - so when Gnash is 1.0, the video sites like YouTube and GoogleVideo and
such will play with it?
Most of the discussion was on which which> library to use, so we decided to
support several.
Cool! :-)
I don't think this> blogger is really paying attention, and I'm not sure what
the BBC uses.
The BBC uses Real and Windows Media, and the originally blog postersuggested they use
Flash because "It's the end of 2006 and the onlinevideo format wars are over. Flash
won. Please use Flash video on yourweb site to provide a hassle-free viewing experience
to the widestpossible audience."
My original quote was a from comment on that post.
-- Regards,Dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Rob Savoye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Date:
09-Dec-2006 11:14Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash Video Codecs?To: Dave Crossland <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>Cc: gnash@gnu.org

Dave Crossland wrote:
Okay - so when Gnash is 1.0, the video sites like YouTube and Google> Video and
such will play with it?
  It's being worked on on heavily right now, so it'll more likely be inthe next
release sometime in the Spring.
The BBC uses Real and Windows Media, and the originally blog poster> suggested they use
Flash because "It's the end of 2006 and the online> video format wars are over.
Flash won. Please use Flash video on your
  The Real protocol isn't support that well by anything, includinghelix.
Windows media has some support, it depends on the version.YouTube and Google
use FLV, which is decently supported by ffmpeg andGnash. So yes, the BBC would
be better off using Flash than what theyare now.
       - rob
-- Regards,Dave