What you're talking about is a global, industry issue with thousands of
diverse stakeholders - from actors to cameramen.

And you also have to realise that the rights are not just for the UK,
there are different rights frameworks across the globe. So, for
example, if the BBC started chucking out DRM free open format versions
of shows on the web, then it would have a massive impact on the global
market - BBC Worldwide has just signed a deal with Zudeo [1] to sell
copies of shows via P2P in the U.S. market [2] which wouldn't be
feasible if everyone could just download all BBC content for free at
source from the UK

martin

http://currybet.net

[1] http://www.zudeo.com/
[2] http://www.zudeo.com/az-web/docs/PR20061219_BBC_Content_Partnership.pdf

On 19/12/06, Andrew Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Dave Crossland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > So that's one reason for the BBC to dump their own-brand
> > NIH-syndrome
> > iPlayer and start publishing video feeds you can consume in
> > Democracy
> > or whatever player you like the most, just like they
> > publish RSS feeds of the news stories.
> Absolutely. I like that idea a lot.
> I think there would still be space for the BBC to do
> something in this area just because they're the BBC. My mum
> is probably not going to use Democracy but she probably would
> use something from Auntie.

Ultimately this is exactly the reason why the BBC (and other parties) do
these things.  Why does AOL have its own browser after all?  If people
didn't use it, they wouldn't create it.

There is a world of between the kind of person that is on backstage and
the "average" BBC user.

I can still remember the first time I ever saw some user testing being
performed (for those that don't know, it's where various people come in,
sit at a computer and are asked to do various tasks, like try and find
something on a website - for those who the testing is being done for,
there is usually a two way mirror or video link so that you can watch
what's going on).

In one respect I found my first session incredibly frustrating (almost
wanting to shout through the mirror "LOOK!  IT'S THERE!") but in another
way, it was extremely enlightening.  It showed me a different side to
the coin.  The side where people don't distinguish between adverts and
general website navigation.  Where people can't see what you consider to
be extremely obvious.

Most importantly, it gave me a firm impression.  That I should always,
always, always remember...  not everyone is like me.

That's not to say that everything should be "dumbed down" to the lowest
level - just that, for the BBC anyway, it's important to try and cater
for everyone.

> > Unfortunately, the Backstage community appears uninterested
> in talking
> > about Free Software media formats, and why they are important. (I
> > don't know why this is.)
> I am interested in talking about it. I know others here are.
> But the trouble is we can't solve the problem. We need to get
> the management thinking about the rights of the licence payer
> instead of the rights of the talent.

Actually I'd say that's only part of the problem because if it was just
a BBC issue, you'd be almost there.

What you're talking about is a global, industry issue with thousands of
diverse stakeholders - from actors to cameramen.

There is, for example, a certain, well known British actor who has
decreed that some of his early work cannot be repeated on television.
Everytime someone tries to negotiate repeat rights for those series, he
is a voice that says no.  As such the programmes can't be repeated.

That's the way the industry has worked for decades.  Trying to unpick it
will take years.  That's a guarentee.

Anyway, back to those tedious admin tasks I'm supposed to be doing right
now :)