> After thoughts.....
>
> Web 0.0 - info.cern.ch (via the command line)

Technically speaking the word "Internet" is used prior to the invention of
http.  By "command line" I presume you mean "telnet" as that is the network
service, the command line belonging to the operating system on the remote
host.

As I recall having to use gopher servers that returned emails received by
UUCP which you had to vi together and then uudecode to get a simple GIF file
was about as 0.0 as you can get.

> Web 1.0 - HTML + Netscape

Of course...

> Web 2.0 - httpd + mysql + php (e.g. Mediawiki and phpGedView)

I don't mean to be picky, but HTML + Netscape would have been useless
without the http daemon to serve the pages in the first place, so it's
certainly 1.0 (and probably 0.9 as in this chicken and egg situation, the
server probably existed first)

Mysql might be an open source version of Oracle, but plenty of DBMS systems
existed before Netscape launched such as ScalableSQL, the bloody Microsoft
Jet Engine, all perfectly usable with early Visual Basic.

> Web 3.0 - can we stop counting now??

In proper Microsoft (Word, Excel) style, we will probably go straight from
version 2.1 to 7.0

> Zero, one, two, many. That's all we need!!!

Every time I heard "two point oh" used by a journalist I want to explain to
them in great depth that anything that is "point oh" is just this side of
being a beta and probably won't work if you roll it out.

I'm on Web 2.1.065.0017 I think...