On 01/02/07, Mr I Forrester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

/ So, yes it seems they are going to create "BBC DRM", and not only that
but "BBC DRM for Linux" as well./ -
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=219846&cid=17833806

More from Miles Metcalfe, on backchannel discussion that BBCDRM, being
for GNU/Linux, may be Free Software:

Open sourcing evil doesn't make it any less evil. Rights management
allows the rights holder to actively dictate the usage of content.
This violates the intent of copyright law (equity) in a way the
passive restriction of rights (it's difficult to photocopy a book)
does not. Stallman rightly describes it as "restriction management"
and it should be resisted. Never in the history of creative product
have rights holders contemplated or been allowed to get away with
restrictions against the affordances of their medium - nor should
they now.

{snip, idea: its Free Software so you can define your own trust models}

Whilst a user-generated trust model is appealing (I can distribute
content for my friends, but it can't be published outside of that
circle - thus enforcing my privacy), it wouldn't be used by users,
would it - it would be offered to corporate rights holders who'd
implement it like DRM.

To which I replied:

"I don't want to belong to any trust model that will accept me as a member."

If you need to enforce your privacy among your friends, I'm not sure
you have any.

Restrictions management is restrictions management, and is in itself
abuse of users' digital rights - to use, study, share, and modify.

--
Regards,
Dave