The iTunes music store, along with others is a special case.

I don’t think many consumers know in fact that they are, in effect, renting
the music even though they have paid for it (by ‘renting’ I mean the fact
that without an internet connection, if you were to shove your iTunes
purchases onto another computer (that belonged to you?), they would not work
since it would not be able to phone home and your purchases would be
useless).

One of the reasons I do believe that the DRM on the iTunes music store is
not necessarily a good thing is because it locks the user into the
iTunes/iPod system and if the user were to ditch the iPod and iTunes they’d
have to purchase all their music again, or indeed, burn it to disc and
re-import, therefore ending up with even lower quality files then they would
have started off with.

And here’s another thing to chuck into the pot. What about those of us that
want the flexibility of being able to choose our tracks to be able to
download, but will not compromise on sound quality (i.e. want pure linear
PCM WAVs or lossless)? Apart from quasi-legal Allofmp3.com, where’s the
download store for us serving up popular music for those of us who want
quality and flexibility? Not all people want DRM laced low bit-rate files
you know.

IMO, DRM should only be used in situations where the content is hired out to
the user (in that, the user is explicitly using a subscription service, such
as Napster to go, or whatever it’s called) and not for services where the
user purchases the song outright.

After all, if you purchase a washing machine, do you want to be told when
and where you can use it, and if you move it from house to house, do you
want to have to check in with the company that made it, so that it can be
used at the new address?

- C.