On 2/26/07, Jason Cartwright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Out of interest, how do you stand on hiding ads...  (That being an
option of Adblock)

Probably even worse. Your hurting the website even more - lowering the
CTR [1] by registering an impression, yet user has no opportunity to
click.

For Google AdSense, the website owner (normally) only earns from PPC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_per_click<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_per_click>
-
so hiding the ads is just as bad as blocking them entirely.

As a point of interest, larger website owners *do* pay for the serving of
the ads (as well, in most cases, as the advertiser).

Incidentally, I have written stuff (for one of my websites) which blocks
website content if the ads don't load. It's quite easy to do, depending on
how your ads are being served. If ad-blockers grow, you'll see a ton of
these scripts proliferating on the web. (Given the stats from one of the
websites I'm responsible for, I estimate that 5% of pages are served to
people with adblockers; which I see as fairly acceptable - 20% might not be,
though).