-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Andrew Bowden
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 9:29 AM
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: RE: [backstage] Percentage of License fee going towards DRM?

> The media producers are clearly getting a free lunch here,
> they can sell the same thing again and again, never having to
> give up any of there own possessions but requiring others to
> surrender their items in exchange.

Lord of the Rings.  Three big budget films.  How do you think they got
financed?

Someone looked at the budgets and said "Right.  Lets say we make this
much in ticket sales, this much in merchandise, this much in DVD sales".

But whack!  Copyright is gone, so the DVD income goes.  Copyright
affects the merchandise because anyone can legally knock off merchandise
without the sayso of the people who created it.  Oh and the cinema
doesn't have to worry - it can just get one copy and give it to the rest
in its chain.

And lo, the film can no longer be financed.

Free lunch?  Nah.  You've just destroyed the entire model that funded
the film.  Thousands of people who would have had work, now have none.
Sure, some people /might/ buy the official DVD, but others won't.  The
funding isn't there.

To bring this to the BBC, the BBC's commercial arm, BBC Worldwide, pumps
money into some programmes on the basis that it knows it will make money
back off DVD sales, book sales etc.

> Let us not forget that there is no natural need for
> copyright, we could function fine without it. It is only
> through government legislation that such a thing exists.

Maybe we would.  But maybe a lot of things you value, would be
destroyed.

If I want to spend time on a project, then release it freely to all,
that's my decision.  However if I spend my time on a project and want to
try and make money off it, why shouldn't I?

It's my idea, my project.  Why should I let someone else make money off
it if I don't want to.

And you're going to have one hell of a time persuading the population of
the world that they should reliquish all rights to their work because
some people have a completely anti-copyright stance.  Most of them will
just think you're bonkers.

Unofficial list archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/