On 05/03/07, George Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So, your major objection to real is that it isn't free software?

My major objection would be the formats aren't available for other
people to implement. Unless of course they are available, and they
just haven't been implemented. If they are available do you know
where?

From what I've seen, sometimes I've got that, sometimes not - so I
imagine it depends on the implementation by the content provider - not
Real/Helix's fault.

It's always failled when I tried the Helix plugin with the BBC site.

Most things on Windows look like trojans to me. The fact that Real
looked bad for you on windows doesn't make it bad for me on GNU/Linux or
Sol, or whatever....

Of course, but it does increase the likelihood of it being nasty, once
bitten twice shy and all that.

> If it doesn't do anything bad why is the source code hidden?!

A good argument.  Here's some source.

How does some code prove that the other part isn't hostile?
Give the guys some credit, if I was to write a backdoor into a program
and then decide to release some of it I would make sure not to release
backdoor.c (I would never actually write a backdoor into anything, but
that's not my point).

Vorbis recommend the Real stuff (http://www.vorbis.com/software/#linux)

I'm not sure they actually recommend it, they are just listing players
that support OGG. I doubt they are recommending the Real Media
formats.

However, no-one uses ogg

You don't mean no-one ;).
Because you said you used it, (further down).
And I use it.

(see James Cridland's mail about Virgin's ogg),
Got a link?

and we (the BBC) make stuff that we want people to use.

You work for the BBC?
You seem nicer than I imagined for a BBC employee. And appear to have
a good knowledge of computing, nice to see there are some good people
at the BBC.

We also make our
own codecs, which I'm sure one day we hope people will also use.

Dirac?

Why does it need to be your own codec, why not help with ogg, or is
there something fundamentally different? (my knowledge of audio
compression is a very basic, I know of Delta encoding, not much use
though is it really ;)?

In the meantime, people do use real. I use Ogg. I'm not all people. The
BBC has done ogg trials, and might do them again. It seems curious to
blame real for the fact that people don't use ogg, or to ignore their
implementation of a free server in favour of an ogg one - or have I got
your argument the wrong way around?

I don't blame Real, I blame Real for not letting me listen to streams
with the software I want t use. I blame the BBC for advocating a
certain commercial entity at the expense of others. I actually find it
amusing that DJ's have to make sure not to mutter phrases that relate
to a company, yet the BBC is allowed to plaster ads for companies like
Real Networks and Microsoft on its website and even require users to
do business with these companies.

You seem to be saying that implementing ogg would mean many people
couldn't listen, I don't understand this. I can find a media player
that will play an ogg stream licensed in such a way that the BBC can
distribute it itself.

I also never suggested only providing ogg streams. (If I gave this
impression I apologise. I personally disagree with using Real Player
and Windows, I don't expect the BBC to force people not to use Real
Player, but I do expect the BBC to give me a choice of what I run on
my machine).

Incidentally is the BBC willing to acceptable responsibility for any
damage incurred as a result of installing or running Real Player?

http://www.real.com/realmobile/palmone.html

Minimum Requirements
     1. PalmOne OS5-based device with ARM processor

Well I'll be damned it does run on ARM.

Well, I think your main point seems to be 'the BBC should use ogg' -
which, if correct, I wouldn't have bothered responding to (this isn't
yet, /. as much as it seems like it sometimes)

Why precisely does a suggestion of "why don't you use ogg" not deserve
a response? I of course don't mean exclusively use OGG, just let me
listen on any software I want. Of course if you know of a better
format that has an open specification feel free to share it.

You have yet to provide a good reason why you can't offer OGG along side Real.

In fact I have never received a satisfactory response to why it must
be real player formats.

And don't even get me started on the use of ActiveX on the BBC site.
(and I don't find being told to download ActiveX from the Microsoft
website very helpful when I explicitly said I use Linux, and the BBC
never bothered to respond after I told then I thought this advice was
not useful).

Interestingly a quick googling found a proposed standard for RTSP. I
wonder why its only proposed it's been there nearly 10 years. Maybe
they had problems with the 2 independent implementations issue?

Andy