They are indeed illegal, didn't stop Kevin Rose from making one on his
(now-defunct) podcast show. They're illegal in the US too :D

I for one will be looking forward to repeaters on the tube - though I don't
live in London whenever I am in London I always feel like the Tube's a bit
of a black spot when it comes to comms. Emergency comms, in particular. It
makes sense to have signal on the underground, particularly given the recent
past.