   _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Christopher Woods
Sent: 22 May 2007 18:35
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: [backstage] This one's for Cridland... BBC A/V interface ideas

Whilst on the subject of interface and UI design, I was thinking about the
BBC site's design.

So, the BBC has a burgeoning portfolio of online multimedia offerings, and
they have their BBC Audio/Video link in the left bar of the BBC News site
(and elsewhere on the site), but once you're actually on that page you're
given a rather odd selection of videos.

Why not give surfers the best of both worlds, having an AV player interface
which takes elements from the old player and gives you a different menu for
the regular Programmes (Panorama etc) and then gives you a category list?
Sometimes I just want to watch all the most recent SciTech videos, for
example, which was as easy as clicking through the list on the old player,
but is nigh on impossible on the new one... There's only three videos per
category!

Consolidating all the available videos for a certain time period in sections
on the page would be very useful and helpful, plus it would probably attract
more eyes because when the content is easier to get to, people'll come back!
I just feel there's room for improvement, and it'd be great to have a little
area in the AV player where you can choose to watch N24, or the o' clock
news broadcasts, or any of the programmes, all from one place with two
clicks MAX - none of this faffing about having to go to the respective
programme's page just to fire up the player with the relevant stream
(although that can stay, because I'm sure people do it that way too if
they're entering via that particular page).

Just throwing these ideas into the pot..

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
14:01

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
14:01