On 6/1/07, Ian Forrester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But I also wanted to get people views on Google Gears - Google Gears is an
open source browser extension that lets developers create web applications
that can run offline.
http://code.google.com/apis/gears

I've played with it for Google Reader. It's nice, and works pretty well
(even though the initial sync, which you have to do manually, seems to take
forever on my ADSL line at home). I might try it properly this evening on
the tube home, in the vain hope that a thief steals my hateful Dell before I
have to give it back. My Google Reader is always on "100+", so it would be
good to cut it down a little.

On a similar note, perhaps this is the benefit of the BBC's iPlayer, in that
it works offline once you've downloaded the programmes. (If I've understood
the literature correctly.) That would put it ahead of the likes of Joost /
ITV / C4, for example, which requires a fast and reliable internet
connection.

James