Richard Hyett wrote:
This reminds me of the different approaches taken to Widgets/Gadgets. Last time I was on the Yahoo Gadget site they were inviting me to download their widgets, there were three logos, OSX, WIN and Linux, a widget for each OS.

I'm think you may be confusing the underlying Widget Application rather
than the widget. In the Yahoo Widget Engine widget's are written once
and work across operating systems that run the widget engine, IIRC.

> No wonder Yahoo are a failing company.

Are they?  News to me, last I heard they were posting a profit and
turning over >$4billion.
http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/earnings.cfm

Google invite users to embed widgets in their own page.

I think you're confusing the 2 products here. Yahoo widgets run through
the Yahoo Widget Engine on your desktop.

I suppose this is the client - server argument again.

Which client-server argument is this? Surely any interactive product such as this relies on a client-server relationship somewhere in the
chain?

As a developer I would far prefer to embed different searches in
> web pages than offer visitors a plugin  no matter how good an
> icon file I could come up with.

Having said that I use the Wikipedia plugin all the time, though that's the only one I do use apart from Google. I can't see that changing but you never know.

Sorry, I definitely put my wrong trousers on today, I don't really
understand what you're getting at here by saying 'embedding searches in web pages'. Are you saying you would rather build search functionality
within a website rather than offer the added feature of searching from
IE's/FF's search toolbar?

In which case I'd have to say that whilst _you_ may not like this, many
others do and there';s nothign to stop you doing both anyway. We must
remember that just because _we_ do things (or not) in certain ways does
not mean that wider population does likewise.

Seán