Hi Andy - that's really informative - thanks very much :-)

On 13/8/07 21:27, "Andy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 13/08/07, Matthew Cashmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Cool.... Perhaps someone would like to post to the list why this protest is
>> happening, what it's aims are (if any) and what are the points that the
>> group would like to get across are?
>
> You could try the "groups" website(s).
> Defective By Designs website is: http://defectivebydesign.org/
> A quick bit of background to provide you with some context (provide
> corrections anyone if this is incorrect):
> DBD is a project run by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). DBD's main
> purpose is the abolition of DRM (Digital Rights Management, or Digital
> Restriction Management, depending on your view). The FSF is the main
> sponsor of the Gnu Project, I project that aims to provide a
> completely free Operating System. Not just free in that you don't have
> to pay for it but free in that you can do much more with it than other
> software. For instance you could read the "source code" (technical
> term meaning the stuff the software developers/programmers actually
> type, instead of the code that the machine executes which is normally
> transformed by a special program, not always though). Currently they
> provide many tools that are then bundled with the "Linux" kernel (the
> kernel is the core of an OS, it does much of the low level stuff that
> you don't really see but you are glad is there).
>
> Needless to say they are likely unhappy at the BBC's actions which
> could cripple UK Linux adoption. It could also pose significant harm
> to other OS vendors, such as Apple (of MacOS fame), and the people
> behind the different versions of BSD.
>
> You might find: http://defectivebydesign.org/iPlayerProtest and
> http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted useful to understand
> why there are protests.
>
> FreeTheBBC ( http://www.freethebbc.info/ ) is a project from "Binary
> Freedom Boston", please don't ask why someone from Boston is behind
> FreeTheBBC, I don't know (and I did ask once). Of course a quick
> reading of the BBC's charter states clearly that one should not take
> the term "UK license fee payer" literally.
>
> As I don't know much about Binary Freedoms background I will quote
> part of their site:
>> 1. Rid BBC content and programming of harmful DRM
>> 2. Make BBC content and programming available in free formats
>> from: http://www.freethebbc.info/node/7
>
> I think the main aims are:
>
> - Opening up access to _all_ Operating Systems, not the select few
> (currently one). As far as I can tell their appears to be no plans for
> an "all OS" solution, only a "select few, but more than one"
> solution*.
>
> - Use of openly specified protocols and formats (of which there are
> way too may to list, but the BBC knows this already, it's a member of
> the consortium that writes some of them!!! (BBC is listed as a member
> of W3C, source: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List )).
>
> - Removal of DRM.

> [...]

Matthew Cashmore
Development Producer

BBC Future Media & Technology, Research and Innovation
BC5C3, Broadcast Centre, Media Village, W12 7TP

T:            020 8008 3959            (02  83959)
M:            07711 913241            (072 83959)