On 15/08/07, Jason Cartwright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wouldn't the world be a boring place if everything was reduced to a result
> of some user testing?

Probably.  But if you want something to work for users it seems
unavoidable.  If you don't do it at the alpha or beta stage, then you're
transferring the whole of the risk to a hunch that will only be vindicated
once the product is live.

 At some design conference I went to I saw (can't remember which one) a
> designery chap described the joy he had going to a book shop and buying a
> book that was wrapped in brown paper and string. The fun and satisfaction he
> had unwrapping this parcel was far greater than the ripping open of some
> bland and highly practical Amazon container.

That's not really "design" though..  more a Luddite view!

 Jacob has his place (and I'll probably always read his stuff), but lets not
> devalue any artistry used here. A
> design/visualisation/dataset/webapp/whatever could be the most usable in the
> world, but I know I won't be interested in playing with it (and perhaps
> giving them money) if its not fun.

Fun is fine, I have no problem with that.  However it is always more
economic to have something that is boring-but-used than fun-but-unused?

 Boiling this down to a practical example – Flickr is the best thing I can
> think of. Adding tags and categorising my photos isn't the most enthralling
> task in the world, but Flickr makes it light-hearted (e.g. "Now you know
> how to greet people in Arabic!") and entertaining. They make more money by
> doing this.

But that wouldn't fail usability testing would it?  If it makes it more
usable then that's fine and will be declared OK by testing.  It's simply
arrogant to think that because one understands something it is obvious to
everyone else.

> On 15/8/07 10:09, "Brian Butterworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> On 15/08/07, *Simon Cobb* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Kim said: "Useful or Playful? Is the question to ask."
>
> I'd argue that useful and playful can be part of the same thing. Certainly
> nothing ever stuck with me that I didn't enjoy using/ thinking about.
> Likewise many of the children I used to teach. The trick is to combine the
> 2. I think there's ways from that set of visualisations to encourage people
> to make playful and useful interfaces to bbc data/ apps if the API's were
> available.
>

> As I was trying to say, a system that allows the end-user to construct
> live visualizations of data is a commendable idea, but (almost) by
> definition this will be impossible for others to use.  For example, many
> people will use red to indicate an error state and green to indicate a OK
> condition.  But you can't use that for everyone as 10% of men are red-green
> colourblind.
>
> If you do some research you will also find out that some people are
> visually-orientated and respond well to these kinds of representations.  But
> others prefer speech over visual explanations and this kind of thing will
> exclude those people.
>

> Brian said: "I presume you have some substantive evidence that no testing
> is require then?"
>
> That's not what I said, it's just that I'm not personally convinced that
> his views are as up-to-date as they should be and so cannot perpetuate his
> status as an untouchable usability expert. But that's best discussed over a
> pint at some unspecified future backstage event rather than this list.
>

> That's a total cop-out, either you can explain why no usability testing is
> required or not.  Personally I don't drink so I can't see why I would never
> discover the great truth that has been revealed to your good self.  Simply
> being rude about someone is a failure to explain - just an insult rather
> than a debunking.

Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
www.ukfree.tv