No Matthew, you've made an elementary error there. They only praise it.
What were you thinking?

I wrote this article two years ago
which was in response to some questions asked on the predecessor to the
"editors' blog", but it's far too high level to be of much interest I
think?

(I didn't choose the stupid title. It's extra unfortunate because for
Americans, a 'bonnet' is always a kind of hat, never a protective
covering for a car's engine. So it creates a mental image of the BBC
News website personified as the flighty younger sister from a Jane
Austen novel.)

Happy to answer any questions on this list.

The URL structure is like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/{edition}/{flavour}/{section_path}{story_id}.stm

(e.g
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6295138.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/697031
8.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/6970110.stm
)

edition: (sport)?(1|2)
        BBC News website is available in two editions, international and
domestic. All the stories are available on both the editions, but there
is a different navigational structure, different promotions in the
banner and footer, and a different editorial focus on the index pages.

flavour: (hi|low)
        There's a low bandwidth version of each story page with the HTML
tables and non-editorial images stripped out.

section_path: ([a-z_]+/)+
        Each story has a "home section" which indicates its major
category.
        Most home sections have an associated index page.
        NB that stories often appear on indexes other than their home
sections. For example, a story about a football team's share price could
have home section "business" and also appear on the
"football/teams/m/manchester_united" index.

storry_id: (\d+|default)
        For story pages, it's the database ID of the story
        For index pages, it's always 'default', and you can just refer
to the index pages as '/' of course.

That's the main URL structure. There are quite a few variants. I'm
afraid I wouldn't recommend making too many inferences based the
structure I've described above.

Kevin

--
Kevin Hinde