On 17/09/2007, Mark Hingston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> the RTSP conversation that fails is attached in the file named
> "MarksPlayer-rtsp-to-bbc.txt". The problem seems to be that whenever I issue
> a SETUP command, I receive a response of "400 Bad Request"

I know little about RTSP, put I can play spot the difference!

Look closely at the RTSP SETUP requests:
your's: SETUP rtsp://wmlive.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc7/hi_s1/audio RTSP/1.0
WMP's: SETUP rtsp://wmlive.bbc.co.uk/wms%5C1xtra%5Chi_s1/audio RTSP/1.0

ignoring the fact they are for 2 different files.

Your seem to be using / as a path separator after the first part of the URL.
WMP uses %5C, which is \ (coincidently the Windows path separator).

The URL provided by describe appears to use %5C in it, not /

You might want to try changing the / to %5C, If your application
doesn't provide that level of control then use telnet (just to see if
this is the problem).

It's the first difference that sprang out at me when looking at the 2 of them.

I'm not entirely sure what the official specification says on this
matter though.
The RFC is rather long: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2326.txt

> If I'm asking these questions in the wrong place, please let me know where
> would be more appropriate to ask (N.B. I've already asked these questions to
> the live555 developers, who told me to ask the BBC or Microsoft).

Anywhere with technically minded people willing to help.

Hope I have been of some help.

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath