Hi Richard,

I had a look through your email and it sounds very impressive. I'm sure it won't be long before others offer to help or offer advice on how to further improve your proposal.
Once your ready to submit it to the DMI project board, do give us a bell.

Cheers,

Ian

Richard Cartwright wrote:
Having left the BBC back in February when I was aware of initial rumblings of the Digital Media Initiative, I was pleased to see that the BBC released information about DMI through Backstage. Joined-up end-to-end production of cross-media services will deliver a whole load of new and exciting services to the user and DMI is about providing the core technology for the capture, production, distribution and archive to do just that. For some great examples of the services of the future, see the use cases developed as part of the micro-navigation of data under development by “JUMMP: Joined Up Metadata for Media Playback”

<http://www.jummp.net/>

I have a very ambitious idea about implementing a prototype version of the DMI model outside of the BBC using only open-source tools and open standards, possibly hosted in an environment such as the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud with the Amazon Simple Storage Service (<http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=3435361>). My vision is to create a global media hub using web services. Rather than using the data model released by the BBC, the prototype would map the concepts contained in the model to existing open standards, such as:

    * Advanced Authoring Format and Material Exchange Format (AAF/MXF)
      for wrapping essence (video, audio, data) with its metadata
      (<http://www.amwa.tv/>), including edit decision lists, as
      supported by Avid, Quantel, Adobe et al.;
    * Ingex for low-cost content ingest of file-based content
      (<http://ingex.sourceforge.net/>);
    * Descriptive Metadata Scheme DMS-1 – a standard and extensible
      set of metadata to use in describing production content (SMPTE
      380M downloadable for a fee from <http://store.smpte.org/>),
      which can be mapped to any of the following:
          o Dublin Core (<http://dublincore.org/>),
          o TV Anytime (<http://www.tv-anytime.org/>),
          o MPEG-7
            (<http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/standards/mpeg-7/mpeg-7.htm>);
    * MPEG-21 for expressing rights management information
      (<http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/standards/mpeg-21/mpeg-21.htm>);
    * MXF Mastering Format – for management of multiple versions of
      the similar content (different languages, title sequences for
      the same core video content etc.) (also <http://www.amwa.tv/>);
    * Open Document Format for scripts, financial data, presentations,
      diagrams etc. associated with a production
      (<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office>).

All of the above standards should be generic enough to avoid the need to commit to any specific codec. What surprises me is that the data model as released by the BBC makes no external reference to existing standards such as those listed above. Surely this conflicts with a stated aim of DMI ... that it should “support open standards”?

So what is my motivation? I am about to release an open-source API for AAF in Java that can be deployed to JBoss (<http://www.portability4media.com/publications/p4m_ibc2007_handout.pdf>) and this would be the ultimate project to test it with. My concept is to set up a load-balanced cluster of JBoss application servers, possibly configured as a JBoss ESB, and to create process orchestration driven by JBPM (see <http://www.jboss.org>). Business processes can be then be mapped to a common core of atomic media services, such as transcoding, metadata management, media asset management etc.. Behind this all could sit a clustered MySQL database and perhaps even an Apache Hapood store for large essence files.

Resources such as the Amazon cloud, access to open specifications that require a fee to access them or other computing resources do not come for free but the initial costs of prototyping would be relatively small and could be sponsored. Eventually, if the prototype proved valuable, it could be made available commercially on a pay-as-you-go basis at a margin above the Amazon or other hosting fees. For the BBC, this provides a parallel implementation of the system to be built by their chosen technology partner(s), reducing the corporation’s risk. For anyone involved in the project, it would offer the kudos of being at the forefront of the creation of a world-class digital media hub.

What do you think? Has this been done before? Anyone interested in being involved?

Richard

--
*Dr Richard Cartwright
*media systems architect