On 10/23/07, Andrew Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Some broadcasters pay Sky to playout their channels and they'll monitor
> those I'm sure.  Many broadcasters go through 3rd parties or do it
> themselves.  Who knows what the exact proportions are, but given how
> many channels there are, there's a lot of channels to monitor and Sky
> won't want to be doing regular monitoring of most of the channels, I'm
> sure.
>
> Ultimately playout monitoring has to be the resposibility of the
> broadcaster in question - which is why four floors below my desk,
> there's a batch of people working for Red Bee Media whose job it is to
> check what they pump out (which includes BBC, BBC Worldwide, UKTV and
> Virgin Media Television)

Likewise, the organisations who deal with the coding and multiplexing of
those channels (not always the same people as playout) will be monitoring
the streams they're sending up to the satellites and other distribution
platforms to make sure all that's happening OK. And they'll have lots of
mosaics in front of them too.[1]

Technically what's being suggested here is easy - and there are bits of kit
which will do it without a sweat[2]. Likewise, the interactive part of the
channel picking isn't hard - see the BBC News multiscreen for a simple
example, and you could associate plenty more audio streams with a service.

I think what we've probably established so far is that the politics of
getting such a service up and running are what might prevent getting it off
the ground. But surely that's not insurmountable, and if someone like Sky
wanted to offer it as 'added value' for their subscribers, then they could
buy some mosaics, some off-air recievers, lease some more bandwidth, and do
it.
(It needn't even neccesarily take up a precious Sky EPG number, by making it
accessable from an option on the Sky guide)

 - martin

[1] I'm not sure why I'm talking in hypotheticals here - I sit in front of
such monitoring walls at work...
[2] http://www.zandar.com/products/dx.htm for example