On 11/5/07, Adam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just received an email from the BBC Archive project and noticed
> that all the email links are using Tinyurl.
>
> Now i would argue that the BBC shouldn't be using this type of service
> in emails, mainly as it contradicts the advice i give friends
> regarding following URLs in emails that do not appear associated with
> the sender (for example only follow links to bbc.co.uk in emails from
> the beeb)
>
> Tinyurl is a great service and i can understand why it is used, but i
> feel that using this type of service in a wider audience is a bad idea.
>
> What does everyone else think.
>
> Adam
>

> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
> Unofficial
> list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/

Hi,

I would have to partially agree with you on that. On the plus side, using a
service like TinyURL does make life easier: URL's are shorter and prettier
and helps people avoid nasty line break issues that some clients face. On
the other hand, you are right - not being able to see the landing URL of a
link is dangerous and potentially a security issue. I do believe however
that this is mainly due to the fact that TinyURL is an external factor and
not under direct control of the BBC itself. Should they actually implement a
similar _private_ service , I wouldn't have any problems using it.

Is. tiny.bbc.co.uk/2m2kLAp

Spiros