On 27/11/2007, George Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 19:46 +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
>
> > Joe Clark's... also considered a
> > world expert on Typography for the visually impaired so I would not
> > take his criticisms lightly on the subject.
>
> I don't, and didn't intend to suggest that. I am about to email him and
> request more information.

Cool - hope you'll repost it here :-)

> That said, the RNIB are also pretty good too - and we like Tiresias. So
> it's liberation is a win, I think, even if it merely encourages
> development of alternatives. The OLPC folk (which is where I saw this
> news) might be interested in it too.

They are, yes, it came up on the Sugar (the OLPC interface) list a few days ago.

> Dave (Crossland), you know about fonts, I believe?

I'm doing the MA Typeface Design programme at the University of
Reading at the moment, so I ought to in a years time ;-)

> Now that its Freedom is assured,

Well, fonts under all versions of the GPL need the "font exception" as
recommended by the FSF -
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FontException - and this font
doesn't have it, so it seems that all (PDF) documents that embed the
GPL version are also licensed under the GPL, or not redistributable.
(I have contacted RNIB about this already)

> any thoughts on it as a font?

Its a solid workhorse humanist sans serif. I personally think its a
good example. They were fashionable recently but a bit over the hill
now.

> (me about to add tiresius PC font to my ~/.fonts dir and see what it's
> like on screen)

http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html is nice for
monospaced (code) work.

--