> > > I wouldn't be so sure about that; isn't there DRM in Flash video
> > > streaming too?
> >
> > sorry - you're right - flash streaming using flash media server can be DRM'd
>
> Is the Flash iPlayer using flash media server with the DRM turned on?

I dunno - given Flash Media Server v3 (the one with DRM) was only
officially launched last week, I'd surprised if said DRM worked with
my 2005-era Flash 8 Firefox plug in - which is happily playing Joan
Rivers as I type.

But I could well be wrong...

and the BBC  stated last week that it's  planning to use FMS v3
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/143967/adobe-releases-flash-media-server-3.html

I'm sure you linux peeps can poke around under the bonnet and find
out, can't you?

;o)