Christopher Woods wrote:
> I'm glad to see that the clock has finally made a comeback
> (...)

I'm a bit disappointed by the clock - or more generally, any web clock
that simply uses the local clock time when it should really be getting a
sync from the server (at the best it duplicates information that is
likely to already be on the screen, at the worst it is misleading for
users trying to check what programmes are currently on, if their clock
is misset). The date being returned (to the nearest second) by the web
server looks synced, so the flash could do a dummy GET or HEAD without
needing any additional server-side support, then continue with a delta
from the current time. Is it open source? :)

Other clock points:
 * As a technical person, I preferred the smooth version second hand. :)
 * The rendering of the hour markers looks a little grizzly/inconsistent
- see http://jeremy.publication.org.uk/bbcbeta_clock.png - is it not
worth rendering if it always going to be shown at 65x65?

Amusingly, just looking at the news headlines now I managed to get a
slight Private Eye moment - showing the wrong picture for a mouseover
the particular story headline, as per
http://jeremy.publication.org.uk/bbcbeta_missingpicture.png - I'm
assuming the alt text is appearing since the intended image failed to load.

Browser is Firefox 2.0 running on Linux. There are some other slight
rendering issues on this browser, but this may be due to other factors
such as setting a minimum font size.

-jeremy