Playing whack-a-mole with corporate and device use cases that the legal or technological implications of Flash being proprietary break misses the forest for the trees. These are all just instances of the freedom of software users being compromised.

That said, on other lists I've seen people argue that Gnash is counter-productive precisely because it supports something that isn't an open standard. This would be a reasonable argument if there was an open standard to support, but there really isn't (SVG+JavaScript or DHTML+AJAX are not substitutes). So I agree that if the BBC could provide such a standard that would be really positive.

- Rob.