On 12/04/2008, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Saturday 12 April 2008 05:57:49 Brian Butterworth wrote:
> > If it were all doing using HTTP it would be easily cached, of course, as
> > you can do this with a proxy server, either a configured-in one as used
> on
> > corporate and educational networks, or as a transparent proxy.
>
> Ignores the fact that most caches will not cache objects over a certain
> size.
> (The maximum usually based on average object size, which is dominated by
> small images and HTML). Also it depends on the purpose the cache is there
> for - speed or bandwidth savings, and even then you still need a maximum,
> it's
> just where you set it which will vary.

Every proxy server I have set-up allows you to configure this!  There is no
reason whatsoever that large files cannot be cached, and even
part-retrieved.

If this is really a problem, then you could set up a server for each ISP
with the files copied on their network with the Iplayer software being
redirected to the fastest file when available.

So, if you watch a programme on a BT (Phorm! boo, hiss) ISP line, you get
the stream from iplayer.btinternet.com, on talktalk from
iplayer.talktalk.com etc.

If we are talking of saving the ISPs the billions of pounds they claim it
cannot be beyond the wit of us programmes can it?

There are algorithms that will take into account object size and popularity

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
http://www.ukfree.tv