great idea Brian

unlikely to happen as Sky and Virgin would scream the house down

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Brian Butterworth
Sent: Thu 01/05/2008 1:37 PM
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] BBC iPlayer, loved by millions, disliked by a single
US citizen

BTW, I've had a really bright idea to stop needing to 'top slice' the TV
License Fee:

There is a PSB funding option that no-one seems to be considering. It's a
really, really, simple obvious one. It re-distributive, simple to implement,
almost a no brainer, logical, doesn't hurt the BBC, no selling off of Chris
Moyles and Terry Wogan. And here it is:

ADD A 3% TAX TO SUBSCRIPTION TELEVISION

Sky subscribers: Q4 2007, 8,297,000 Annual revenue per unit: £421

Total Sky subscription revenues: £3493.037m

Virgin subscribers: Q4 2007, 3,478,100 Annual revenue per unit: £507

Total Sky subscription income: £1763.346m

Total income from television subscriptions: £5256.383m

Revenue required to support Channel 4 or PSB Publisher etc: £150m

Tax on subscriptions would be: 150/5256.383 = 2.85%

What do you think?