-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dan Brickley
Sent: 29 May 2008 16:08
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] Film Reviews

Andrew Bowden wrote:
>> I see the film reviews are nolonger being updated on the BBC site.
>> Does anyone know why and will this mean that the film reviews xml
>> feeds will no longer be updated.
>
> The Movies site (and it's associated section on BBCi) formally closed
> on
> 6 May 2008 - they've left the archive online, however there won't be
> any new reviews.  As such, the feeds won't get updated.

The ratings DB at http://www.bbc.co.uk/movies/ (assume this is the site
you're talking about) still seems open for business. I voted on a couple
of movies and it increased the counter, eg. 'Average rating: 4 from 701
votes' in
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/03/28/panic_room_2002_review.shtml#

Will the system carry on accepting ratings indefinitely? Is there any
way to get a movie ratings data dump out of /cgi-perl/polling/poll.pl ?

Seems like a nice collection of data, even if it won't be updated.

There are people pages too, even enough to play the 6 degrees of Kevin
Bacon game, albeit on a dataset much smaller than IMDB:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/gateways/star/baconkevin/

If http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/catalogue_offline.shtml were back
online, it might be fun to match up the identifiers to find other
appearances of the same actors elsewhere in BBCland...

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/