From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt Barber
Sent: 05 June 2008 10:01
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] BBC Look East HTML rich newsletter

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Sean DALY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If I may add my 2 cents, I think e-mail newsletters should always have
a text-only option with a link to the graphics-rich version. I am
subscribed to fairly vast number of newsletters and I generally don't
read them, I search them for keywords (filters or manually). Plain
text are ideal as a lowest common denominator for portable gadgets;
easy to forward plain text newsletters to my work or personal e-mail
accounts and read the graphics-rich versions on comfortable screens.
And, for the security-conscious (I am thinking of my aging personal
Windows box but also Google mail which scrubs images by default),
plain text offers a far more secure way to receive a flood of mail
with the rich version just an extra click away.

Sean, I agree with this because I too like to read over quick information and
then go further if a story interests me, usually to the website directly. But
also it's important in my opinion to consider pushing this forward a little to
take advantage of the faster connections and computers around now, to enhance
experience and to provide newer, if not more effective - at least more
interesting and engaging - content. Maybe the newsletter format isn't for this,
as you say, text works really well on portables, they're cross compatible with
everyone and importantly more secure.
For me, newsletters offer a decent bridge between the inbox (where I pay a lot
of attention) and the site's content. There's a fine line between interesting
(click and visit the site), and slow, irrelevant and cumbersome (ignore and
delete). Too much rich content can cross this line - but a little well used
rich content can also work in favour too. This is why criticism is important I
reckon especially in the early stages.