Thanks guys,

Any more prototypes which people want to send in, are best sent to the mailing list too.

Cheers

Richard Askew wrote:
First Prototype submission too!

Some months ago I asked the guys on here to help me out with the gathering BBC
content so that I could put my application into practice and here it is - take
a look and let me know what you think (Obviously there is scope there for
refinement):

www.richardaskew.co.uk/infusednews

About:

Infused news was created as part of an Internet Computing degree at the University of Hull, Scarborough Campus named "An investigation into the need for user-submitted, multimedia content when delivering news". The aim was to integrate user-submitted, multimedia elements into existing news stories and evaluate whether or not this augmented version of the news not only makes the story more compelling, action provoking and understandable for the user, but to investigate whether the use of multiple sources gives the news story a more balanced, honest and up-to-date view of the news story.
The application takes an rss feed of BBC data provided at
http://dev.barnesdmd.co.uk/ff/?ffid=2. Keywords are extracted using the Yahoo
Term extractor and these are used to retrive data from YouTube and Flickr, the
phpFlickr classes were used to acheive this (http://phpflickr.com/).

The mix of media (Imagery, Sound and Video) often enhanced the story being
presented. The keywords used often return media isn't relevant due to keywords
not being given enough context, or media being tagged incorrectly. If more time
or the funding was made available I would look further into utilising Ambient
Interface technology so that the application could deliver the information in
an engaing way.