<bit of a rant>
This software by Adobe that makes it easier to deploy cross-platform,
desktop apps, and to use AJAX, HTML, Flash, and have it running
offline/online - and these skills would be useful in other situations too -
seems cool.
In regard to the.. discussion that this competition thread has become - this
is the double edged sword when such an organisation as the BBC gets
involved. Because they are open, friendly and quite frankly damn good I
think at letting other people fudge around with their stuff - and listening
back too, it is such an understated forum for expression of creative ideas
and technological solutions. But as it's publically funded, this gets pushed
aside with facts and figures of 'openness' and 'fair' use of 'free'
software.
Also, the subject of 'free' software alone could fill entire libraries with
[philosophical discussion|rants|arguments|insults|etc] - but is this why we
are here?
I'm here to have fun and to maybe try out some new things, and to read
interesting points of view on technology and the BBC.

This competition idea introduces a viable, probably robust option, that
finally allows multiple platforms to converse and use an app. It might be
something people can dig their teeth into, have a bit of fun with, and maybe
even god forbid make something useful that people can actually use? Or
should we insist that Windows is wrong, Flash is evil and anyone that says
otherwise is an idiot?

Well call me an idiot, but I love what Flash brought to the table many years
ago with it's easy to use scripting and tools, and I actually *enjoy* using
Windows on my PC. Hell, I even use Windows Media Player. It may surprise you
that I sometimes watch BBC TV and listen to the radio, too...
</bit of a rant>

Please enjoy the freedom to discuss and have a point of view, but it
sometimes gets a little ridiculous.