-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: 04 September 2008 00:38
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: [backstage] BBC Music Store

Apparently BBC Worldwide is making a music store:
<http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/841648/BBC-Worldwide-launch-ad-backed
-online-music-service/>
<http://tinyurl.com/bbcmusicstore>

According to the article it will allow free streaming (supported by ads)
and payed downloads.

Here is the interesting bit:

> BBC Worldwide will then levy charges for any audio or video music
> content that consumers want to download to rent for a limited time
> period or that they download for permanent ownership

and

> all such downloaded content will be DRM-free

So is the rented stuff going to just have a notice saying "Rent till
../../.., please delete it when your done" on the download page? Or is
the "DRM-free" bit only going to apply to the permanent ownership
downloads?

Apparently this still has to pass Trust approval, which it may fail
(unlikely, but theoretically possibly).

Not sure I particularly like the idea of ads being inserted, I thought
the BBC was prohibited from doing that or does that prohibition not
apply to worldwide even though it's using the BBC's content?

Andy
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe,
please visit
http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
Unofficial list archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/